May 29, 2014. So you own a Limited Liability Company, Congratulations! Do you have proof of your ownership? You should have a unit certificate much like a stock certificate to represent your ownership in the LLC. The image below is an example of a certificate evidencing ownership of limited liability company units (commonly referred to as shares) and is to be completed by filling in the lettered blanks as follows:

A—State of organizationCEO_5.29.14

B—Date of organization

C—Certificate number

D—Number of units issued to certificate holder

E—Company name

F—Total number of units authorized for class issued to certificate holder

G—Name of certificate holder

H—Number of units or shares issued to certificate holder, written out

I—Day (e.g., 5th)



L & M—Names of managers or officers signing the certificate

Additional Notes:

  • There should be a restrictive legend on the back of every certificate.
  • The managers should approve all share issuances, and a record of the approval should be kept in the minutes with the LLC records.
  • All share issuances give rise to the need for a consideration of securities laws and appropriate notice filings.

LLC Certificate Face

LLC Certificate Example

Subscribe Our Blog

Posts by Topic

DISCLAIMER: The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. By visiting this website, blog, or post you understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the Goosmann Law Firm attorneys and website publisher. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from Goosmann Law Firm, PLC, or the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this Post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.