May 12, 2014. Sometimes it is hard to get a divorce because you can’t figure out where to file for divorce. If a couple lives in a state for a long period of time, then moves to another state, decide to get divorce it can get complicated. It can get more complicated when one of the parties wants to move to yet another state.

Before a petitioner can file for divorce in Iowa, they must be a resident of Iowa for the past year, after deducting all absences from the state. The petitioner must also state the maintenance of the residence has been in good faith and not for the purpose of getting a divorce. A party cannot consent to or waive jurisdiction. The court can overturn a decree if the court did not have subject matter jurisdiction in the first place.

How do couples file for divorce if residency is an issue? The petitioner can file for divorce when the respondent is a resident of Iowa and is personally served. Otherwise, the petitioner will wait until they have lived in Iowa for one year. If you do not know where to file for divorce, consult an attorney. The last thing you want to happen is to get divorced and run into problems down the road because the court did not have jurisdiction in the first place and you have to start over.

For more questions about where to file for divorce or family law, contact the Goosmann Law Firm at or call 712-226-4000.

Subscribe Our Blog

DISCLAIMER: The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. By visiting this website, blog, or post you understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the Goosmann Law Firm attorneys and website publisher. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from Goosmann Law Firm, PLC, or the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this Post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.