May 16, 2014. Let’s say you moved to Iowa and have the waited the year so you could file for divorce with proper subject matter jurisdiction. The next hurdle to think about is personal jurisdiction. Personal jurisdiction means the state where you filed the action has the ability to make legal determinations over the individual person affecting their liberty interests. When you are talking about divorce, custody and visitation, these are major legal determinations. A state can only do that if you are a resident of that state or if you have “meaningful contacts” with that state. When a person has minimum contacts with a state, that person could expect to be subject to court in that state.

If you file for divorce and your spouse has never been to that state, you will likely have issues with personal jurisdiction. Personal jurisdiction, unlike subject matter jurisdiction, can be waived. Discuss with your attorney the contacts your spouse has with your state. Your attorney will need to make a determination if there are sufficient contacts in which to file for divorce and proceed with the case.

For more information regarding filing for divorce and personal jurisdiction, contact the Goosmann Law Firm at or call 712-226-4000.

Subscribe Our Blog

DISCLAIMER: The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. By visiting this website, blog, or post you understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the Goosmann Law Firm attorneys and website publisher. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from Goosmann Law Firm, PLC, or the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this Post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.