May 29, 2014. In order to be given credit for your child support payment, you must pay it through the Clerk of Court or the Collection Services Center. The only exception to this rule is if the person entitled to receive the support payment files an affidavit with the court confirming they received payment. Since you probably do not want to rely on your former spouse or significant other to file such an affidavit, make sure your payments are made to the correct place.

What happens if your child stops living primarily your former spouse and comes to live with you? Your child support obligation is still out there. You will need to file an action to modify support, but in the meantime, you will want to file a motion to suspend support. Once the court order is entered, you are obligated to follow it unless another court order takes it place. You do not want to end up on the hook for back child support if things don’t turn out the way you thought they would.

For more information on how to get credit for child support payments and family law, contact the Goosmann Law Firm at or call 712-226-4000.

Follow us on Twitter! @JeanaAtGLF @ChrisAtGLF!

Subscribe Our Blog

DISCLAIMER: The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. By visiting this website, blog, or post you understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the Goosmann Law Firm attorneys and website publisher. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from Goosmann Law Firm, PLC, or the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this Post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.