May 6, 2014. The court can make couples attend marriage counseling before their divorce is allowed. Iowa law says the court or one of the parties can ask the judge to order counseling for 60 days. The counselor must then file a written report with the court describing the steps taken during counseling. This process can include referrals to marriage counselors, family service agencies, community health centers, physicians and clergy.

The law is silent as to whether the parties have to attend counseling together. This silence allows a party to ask to attend separately, particularly in cases of domestic abuse. The costs must be paid by the parties and is taxed as court costs. The law does allow the court to tax the costs to the county if the parties are unable to pay without prejudicing their financial ability to provide for themselves and their minor children.

The application for conciliation services can be filed with the petition or filed separately during the dissolution process. The majority of couples waive this opportunity because they do not think the services will help. However, this is an option available to those who feel they may benefit.

For more information about family law and mandatory counseling during divorce, contact the Goosmann Law Firm at or call 712-226-4000.

Subscribe Our Blog

DISCLAIMER: The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. By visiting this website, blog, or post you understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the Goosmann Law Firm attorneys and website publisher. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from Goosmann Law Firm, PLC, or the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this Post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.