Tags: Divorce

Sioux_Falls_LawyerSome things just can’t wait. When spouses separate, they often need to make decisions on the sale of the marital home, child custody, and the possession of valuable assets before the divorce can be finalized. Therefore, couples often seek temporary orders, or in other words, a court-approved decision on how these matters will be handled in the short term. On Feb. 17, 2017, a new Iowa Rule of Civil Procedure was passed that affects temporary order hearings.

To request temporary orders, couples must fill out paperwork. An attorney usually assists with this process. Then, a temporary orders hearing is held. The new Iowa Rule of Civil Procedure requires both parties to be present at this hearing either in person, by telephone, or by video conference. According to the Court, “the presence of parties during hearings on important temporary matters will further the twin aims of judicial transparency and procedural fairness.”

If you and your spouse are separating, the important decisions can’t wait. Contact a family law attorney today; he or she can help you request temporary orders and walk you through the process.


Subscribe Our Blog

DISCLAIMER: The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. By visiting this website, blog, or post you understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the Goosmann Law Firm attorneys and website publisher. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from Goosmann Law Firm, PLC, or the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this Post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.