I’m not married to the mom/dad of my child, how do I ensure that I can see my child regularly as an unmarried parent?

It isn’t all that uncommon for the parents of a child to be unmarried (with no plans to get married). When the new child comes along the happy couple fails to see any problems with how they will raise their new bundle of joy going forward. However, if the relationship starts to fray and the couple breaks up, unforeseen questions now develop regarding the care and custody of the child.

More specifically, who will the child stay with, what does a visitation schedule look like, is child support supposed to be paid? These are all important questions that should be addressed in a timely manner to reduce uncertainty and ensure that everyone is on the same page as to how the parties will effectively co-parent going forward. The first step that needs to be taken is the filing of a Petition asking the Court to Determine Custody, Visitation, and Support. This will allow you the opportunity to get a Court Order in place that will discuss the important questions regarding the care and custody of your child.

If there is no Court Order in place discussing the various responsibilities and obligations of the parties as it relates to the minor child, one parent will often times find themselves in a position where they are marginalized as it relates to their involvement in raising their child.

To ensure that appropriate steps are being taken to allow both parents to maintain an active and engaged role in their child’s life, reach out to a qualified family law attorney. This will allow you to fully understand how to protect your rights and your children’s rights.

For more information for an unmarried parent about custody, visitation, support, and divorce, contact the Goosmann Law Firm at info@goosmannlaw.com or call 712-226-4000.

Subscribe Our Blog

DISCLAIMER: The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. By visiting this website, blog, or post you understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the Goosmann Law Firm attorneys and website publisher. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from Goosmann Law Firm, PLC, or the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this Post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.