January 17, 2014. Once a party files a Petition to Establish Paternity or Disestablish Paternity, DNA testing is soon to follow. The court or parties may request DNA testing. The party who files to overcome paternity is responsible to pay for testing and for the guardian ad litem appointed by the court.

Once tests are back, the judge will set a trial to resolve the matter. A party can challenge the result and request an additional test be completed. At trial, the DNA test is admitted without further foundation from the testing facility if the testing facility is accredited. There is a presumption the alleged father is the biological father if the DNA testing shows the probability of paternity is 95% or higher.

If paternity is overcome, the putative father is relieved of any future child support obligation. The paid child support is not refunded to him. If the alleged father’s name is on the birth certificate or on an affidavit of paternity, a court order will be needed to remove the alleged father’s name and correct the birth certificate.

For more information on Goosmann Law's family law practice, email us at info@goosmannlaw.com or call 712.226.4000.

Subscribe Our Blog

DISCLAIMER: The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. By visiting this website, blog, or post you understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the Goosmann Law Firm attorneys and website publisher. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from Goosmann Law Firm, PLC, or the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this Post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.